One pound organic tofu, cut into squares or triangles
- 1/4 cup tamari or GF soy sauce
- One cup water
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or 1-2 TB. honey
- 3 TB. mirin or 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- one tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot or kuzu
- one TB. sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, combine tamari, water, syrup, mirin or vinegar, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot or kuzu and 1/4 cup room temperature water. Pour this into the pan with the teriyaki sauce ingredients.
- Turn heat to medium, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and starts to thicken. This will only take a few minutes. Once it thickens turn heat to low and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Place tofu in a large skillet and pour sauce over it to almost cover.
- Bring to boil and turn down heat immediately. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes turning once or twice.
- You can marinate the tofu with the sauce for 30 minutes or more.
- You can bake in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes, turning several times.
- Serve with steamed vegetables and your favorite whole grain.
- If you’re short on time, purchase a bottled teriyaki sauce that is free of sugar, chemicals, and additives.