This recipe can be cooked as a soup using 6-8 cups of liquid or as a side dish, using 2 1/2 cups liquid. If you have gluten sensitivities avoid barley. Use Hato Mugi or another whole grain such as quinoa or millet.
- 1 cup barley (pearl or hulled) or Hato Mugi Grain
- 6-7 cps. water or vegetable bouillon
- 1 leek or onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cps. beets
- 1 1/2 cps. diced celery
- 6-8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cp. chopped parsley
- 2 inch strip kombu sea vegetable
Simmer barley for 40 minutes with the kombu. Reconstitute shiitake in room temperature water for 30 minutes. Discard stems and slice mushrooms thin.
Add ginger and garlic and shiitake mushrooms that have been reconstituted in cold water. Simmer 15 minutes. Add celery, leeks and beets and simmer 20 minutes more. Add parsley last 3 minutes. Remove kombu, chop in small pieces and add back to the barley.