Amaranth, an ancient grain, was once the sacred food of the Aztecs. It is extraordinarily nutritious; high in protein, fiber, amino acids lysine and methionine, vitamin c and calcium (including the supporting calcium cofactors, magnesium and silicon).
Amaranth is categorized as a grain but it is really a seed.
Amaranth is gluten-free. It is higher than milk in protein and calcium (including the supporting calcium cofactors, magnesium and silicon). High in the amino acid lysine
Best to purchase from a health food store. Packaged health foods containing amaranth flour and cold breakfast cereals containing amaranth are denatured and not really healthy. If you want the benefits of amaranth, cook it as a grain.
- One cup organic amaranth
- One tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Sliced scallions for garnish
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add the amaranth, turn heat to low, and stir constantly until it emits a toasty aroma—about 4-5 minutes. Best not to use coated cookware. Stainless steel is recommended.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir until mixed well.
- Add 2 1/2 cups boiling water and the sea salt.
- Cover and cook on low heat about 60 minutes. Check occasionally as you may need to add more water.
- Top with sliced scallions and chopped walnuts.
- I often cook chunks of butternut squash, yams, carrots ,and diced onions with this. You can use other vegetables as well.
- You can substitute olive oil for the toasted sesame oil
- For a soft, creamy breakfast cereal, increase the water by 1-2 cups for a creamy consistency and cook longer. I’ve cooked it 90 minutes (even longer).
- You can substitute millet in this recipe
- You can combine a few TB. amaranth with other grains you are cooking
- Add a couple TB. amaranth to soups
- Amaranth is a cooling food with the bitter and sweet flavors. Learn about the flavors here
- Benefits lungs; useful for congestion
- Dries excessive internal dampness
- Useful for diarrhea and excessive menstrual bleeding
- Controls bleeding