ummer Salad or Warm Main Dish Anytime
|1 cp. dried black eyed peas||3 ears fresh corn|
|1cp. Red Quinoa||2 large tomatoes, diced|
|2 cps. water or vegetable bouillon||1 medium red onion, diced|
|1 cp. broccoli cut into small florets||4 TB. finely chopped parsley|
|3 cps. chopped kale||1/4 cp. pine nuts|
|1-2 inch strip of kombu sea vegetable||Unrefined sea salt and pepper to taste|
6 TB. cold pressed olive oil
3 lemons, juiced + rind of one lemon
- Cook dried black eyed peas in three cups water with 1-2 inch strip of kombu for 60-90 minutes. Check after 60 minutes. Kombu and bay leaf help make beans easier to digest, and kombu adds important minerals.
- Place quinoa, 2 cps. water or bouillon** and small pinch of unrefined sea salt in a pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 30-35 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Place quinoa in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Cook corn in a pot of boiling, salted water 5-7 minutes. Cool and cut corn from cobs.
- Steam kale 7-8 minutes and cool. Steam broccoli one minute and allow to cool. Run cold water over the vegetables to stop the cooking process.
- Add corn, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, red onion, and parsley to the quinoa.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon, lemon rind, salt and pepper and pour over the quinoa and vegetables.
- Top with pine nuts.
- Serve warm or as a cold summer salad.
**I like Rapunzel brand of dried bouillon cubes
- Use canned beans instead of dried
- Use frozen corn instead of fresh corn
- Use whatever vegetables you have on hand but do use some green ones
- You can substitute vinegar for lemon
Kombu available here