Beets are classified as the sweet flavor in Traditional Chinese Medicine Dietary Therapy. Learn more about the five flavors and how they can benefit or harm your health.
Beets are a blood purifier and blood tonic and are helpful for anemia. They strengthen the heart and improve circulation; benefit the liver; and are useful for constipation, especially the type caused by fluid dryness. You may also like Borscht (beet soup).
|1 1/2 cups cooked beets, diced||1/2 small onion sliced thin|
|1/2 cup fresh fennel, diced||Sea salt and pepper to taste|
|1 1/2 TB. extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil||1 1/2 TB. pine nuts|
|3 TB. fresh lemon juice (or vinegar)||Crumbled goat or sheep feta (optional) or Vegan Cheese|
|1 Avocado, diced||Arugula or Romaine|
- Peel, quarter, and boil beets in salted water about 25-30 minutes.
- Dice fennel and avocado.
- Combine vegetables and place on a bed of romaine or arugula.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon (or vinegar), salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables.
- Top with pine nuts and goat or sheep feta, or vegan cheese, if desired.
- Serve warm or as a cold salad.
- I often used steamed kale, collard greens, or other leafy greens along with romaine or arugula.
- I had some heirloom yellow tomatoes on hand, so added them to this dish but it is not necessary.
- If you don’t like fennel, leave it out.
- Beet tops can be eaten; however they are high in oxalic acid and will inhibit calcium metabolism if eaten excessively.