|1 cup brown Basmati rice, rinsed||1 TB curry powder|
|2 cups water||½ tsp powdered ginger or 2-3 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger|
|1 tsp. sesame oil||2 celery stalks, diced|
|2 cloves garlic, minced – optional||½ cup dried currants|
|1 small red onion, diced||4 scallions thinly sliced|
|1 Tart Granny Smith apple, cored and diced||Fresh chopped parsley, and grated carrot|
|½ cup organic, unsalted slivered almonds||Pinch of unrefined sea salt|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Arrange slivered almonds on a cookie sheet. Lightly toast in oven until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Set almonds aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet, over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook about 3 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder and ginger and cook, stirring 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the rice. Slowly stir in water and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, cover, and cook over low heat 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts, carrots, celery, apple, currants, and scallions. Just before serving, stir in dressing. Serve warm or cool.
Dressing (or use a bottled dressing)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Dash GF soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 TB. umeboshi vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 TB brown rice syrup or honey
- 2 TB Dijon Mustard
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Warm oil and soy sauce gently in a small saucepan over low heat 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk oil mixture with remaining ingredients until blended.