Hijiki benefits the thyroid. It is an excellent source of calcium, iron, and iodine; vitamins B2 and niacin; normalizes blood sugar levels; aids in weight loss; builds bones and teeth; soothes nerves; supports hormone functions.
- ¼ cp. Hijiki (or Arame ) dried
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 tsp. naturally fermented tamari or wheat-free soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. grated ginger
- One tsp. Toasted sesame oil
- Water to cover
- Soak Hijiki in room temperature water 10-15 minutes. Pour off soaking water.
- Thinly slice onion and carrot.
- Slice or chop the hijiki.
- Place toasted sesame oil in a skillet and heat.
- Add hijiki and sauté a few minutes.
- Next add onions and carrots and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover pan with a lid, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add tamari and grated ginger for last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove lid and simmer a few minutes more until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add thinly sliced chive or scallions, or chopped parsley.
- You can vary the vegetables in this dish. The following are nice additions: dried Shiitake mushrooms, tofu or tempeh, green cabbage, parsnips, squash, leeks, scallions, parsley, etc. Roasted almonds or walnuts can be added at the end.
- Cook hijiki with vegetables 25-30 minutes. Eat a side dish 2-3x a week. You may have to acquire a taste for Hijiki, and once you do, you and your body will crave its superior nutrition. You can always increase the amount of vegetables and use less hijiki, or substitute arame for the Hijiki. Arame has a mild taste.
- I often add a few TB. of mirin which is a rice cooking wine.
- Sautéing hijiki or arame in good quality oil is necessary to help metabolize the minerals in the seaweed.
- Quality matters. I prefer to purchase Hijiki and all sea vegetables from a reputable Health Food Store rather than an Asian Market–they often contain artificial ingredients. I never purchase, nor do I recommend, sea vegetables from China or Hong Kong. My personal preference is Mitoku, a superior brand, which is available from Natural Import Co. online.