- 5-6 ears fresh corn
- 8 cups water
- 2/3 cup millet or quinoa
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 cp. diced celery
- 1 tsp. each dried tarragon, thyme, sage
- 1 small finely diced red pepper
- 1/4 cp. parsley, finely chopped
- 3-4 tsp. millet miso or sweet white miso or chickpea miso
- Remove corn from cobs. For a savory stock, simmer the cobs in the water 15 minutes and discard the cobs.
- Wash millet and drain in a fine mesh strainer. If using quinoa it usually doesn’t need to be washed.
- If using millet roast in a dry skillet over low to medium flame, stirring constantly, until the millet turns golden and smells aromatic. You can skip this step but it does at a lot of flavor.
- Add millet or quinoa to stock, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion in a small amount of olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the herbs and celery, sautéing 3-5 minutes.
- Add the corn and sautéed vegetables to the stock and simmer 10-15 minutes more.
- Add red pepper and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add miso and simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and stir in parsley and garnish with scallions.
- If you do not have miso, use a liquid vegetable bouillon in place of the water. I like Pacific and Imagine brands in a soup box, or Rapunzel bouillon cubes.
- Shortcut: Use Imagine’s Vegan Creamy Harvest Corn Soup in place of some of the water and leave out the miso.
- You can substitute frozen corn if you do not have fresh.
Corn is sweet in flavor, nourishing for the heart and stomach; helps regulate digestion; is diuretic; promotes healthy teeth and gums.
The flavor of Millet is sweet and salty. It is beneficial to the stomach, spleen and pancreas; moistens dryness; is diuretic; alkalizing; high in protein and rich in silicon; useful for diarrhea, vomiting, indigestion, morning sickness and diabetes. One of the best grains for Candida albicans overgrowth.
Miso comes in many varieties from meaty and savory to sweet and delicate. Lighter miso (as recommended in this recipe) is more sweet. Miso is high in protein with a trace of vitamin B12; a live food containing lactobacillus that aids digestion and assimilation; creates an alkaline condition which promotes resistance to disease; treats and prevents radiation sickness; treats some types of heart disease and cancer; neutralizes some of the effects of smoking and air pollution. South River brand of miso is my favorite and superior in quality to most I’ve used.