Supports healthy bones, kidneys, adrenals, thyroid, hair, and can be helpful for weight loss–other therapeutic uses at end of recipe.
- 1/2 cup dried Arame
- 1/ TB. Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 pound tofu
- 2 tsp. umeboshi vinegar or 1 tsp. umeboshi paste
- **Wheat-free Soy sauce –about 1 TB
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Rinse Arame and soak for 5-10 minutes in enough room water to cover; drain, and then slice into small pieces.
Thinly slice carrots; cut green beans to desired size; cut tofu into small cubes.
Heat oil in a skillet and add the Arame, sautéing a few minutes over medium high heat. Add water to almost cover the Arame; add the soy sauce; put a lid on the pan, and simmer 15-20 minutes.
Next add the green beans, carrots and tofu, and the umeboshi vinegar or umeboshi paste. Stir well. Put the lid back on the pan and cook 10 minutes more.
Turn off flame and stir in parsley. Serve warm.
**Soy Sauce – (also called shoyu) – contains amino acids, minerals, some B vitamins. Even in small quantities, good quality shoyu can buffer acidic foods and aid in the digestion of some foods. Buy soy sauce that is naturally fermented (traditionally brewed) aged 1-2 year in wooden vats – and free of additives or preservatives. Use in cooking only to enhance the flavor of the foods you are cooking it with. Avoid pouring it over food on your plate.
Purchase naturally aged wheat-free soy sauce from a reputable Natural Foods Store. Avoid popular supermarket brands that are highly processed.
Therapeutic Properties of Arame:
- moistens dryness
- softens hardened areas and masses in the body
- benefits the thyroid
- one of the richest sources of iodine and is highly concentrated in iron & calcium
- excellent for alleviating high blood pressure
- builds bones and teeth
- traditionally used to treat feminine disorders and mouth afflictions
- hijiki, arame, wakame, or any member of the kelp family, when consumed daily, can promote the growth of glossy hair and prevent its loss
- they also help provide a clear complexion and soft, wrinkle free skin
- Used primarily as a side dish cooked with vegetables. Needs to be cooked 30 minutes. Reconstitute in cold water 10-15 minutes.
- Sautéing in oil facilitates the digestion of oil-soluble vitamins and cuts the fishy taste.