Tofu is an excellent, easily digested plant protein made from soybean curd. It is cholesterol-free and low in saturated fat. Tofu is a good source for B-vitamins and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, and potassium. On its own tofu has a bland flavor which makes it versatile in cooking. It will take on the flavor of the ingredients you are preparing it with. Never eat it raw; it will be hard on your digestive system. Best to purchase organic, non-GMO–it’s inexpensive. Scroll down for health benefits.
|One pound organic tofu||1-2 TB. finely chopped parsley|
|2-3 TB. Vegan mayonnaise||1-2 TB. finely diced celery|
|Two TB. chopped dill pickles||1-2 tsp. turmeric powder|
|1/2 cp. pickle juice||1-2 tsp. dry mustard|
|One TB. finely diced red onion||1-2 tsp. wheat free soy sauce or tamari|
- Drop tofu into salted, boiling water for 5 minutes. This is important since uncooked tofu is very difficult to digest. Drain, squeeze out excess water and crumble into a bowl.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, turmeric and ¼ cup of juice from pickles.
- Chop vegetables finely.
- Combine all ingredients and chill.
- Serve on a bed of arugula, endive, romaine or a combination of all three. Goes well with quinoa and steamed kale or other hard, dark leafy greens.
- Fresh dill makes a nice addition.
- Add mineral rich Dulse sea vegetable. Rinse a small handful under water; slice or tear into small pieces and add to the tofu salad.
- Add grated carrots or any vegetable of your liking
- Tofu is a concentrated protein, high in calcium, and contains no cholesterol. It is very difficult to digest when eaten raw. It’s important to boil it first when using in a salad recipe. I do not recommend using tofu in smoothies.
- Use 1/8 tsp. unrefined sea salt instead of tamari or soy sauce
- Tofu is a cooling food
- Moistens dry conditions
- Relieves inflammation of the stomach
- Neutralizes toxins
- Supports colon and lung systems
- Good for those with high blood pressure
- Reduces heat signs accompanying heart disease
You might like:
Improve Health and Lose Weight with Common and Uncommon Foods